Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Our dog for a day

On Sunday, we were hanging out in the backyard and a dog came up. He didn't have a collar, so at first we were a little leery of him. He just didn't want to go away. He stayed and played all afternoon. When it was time to go in, he was still hanging around. By this time, we'd realized that he wasn't a stray, so we couldn't just leave him outside for the night. So, we brought him in and it was like we had our very own dog. On Monday, I posted my number at the mailboxes and we left him in the garage until we could get home from work and take him to the vet to check for a chip. When we got home, we found that he'd decided to let himself back into the house (clever fellow) and was sitting on the couch waiting for us to come home. We took him to the vet and the bittersweet part is that he did in fact have a chip. I left my number with the vet to track down the owner and we all went home. A little while later, the dreaded phone call came...The owner had just moved to our neighborhood and Nike had gotten out. He had been looking for him and was so happy to see him, as was Nike's gal pal, Puma. I'm really glad that he has a loving family and is well taken care of, but it sure would have been nice to keep him.



19 comments:

For Over 29 Years... said...

Maybe that's telling you something! LOL

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Aww what a cute dog. Glad you were able to find his owners.

Anonymous said...

Cute dog...my own dog won't even sit for a photo!
Cari

Sara said...

Awww. At least he lives nearby so you can bump into him again!

Chell said...

aww what a cutie. nice you got to have a friend for a day..

Malisa said...

what a cutie. Last summer we had a golden retriever/lab wander into our lives and we ended up keeping him for about a month. It was the most photographed stray dog ever I think.

Anonymous said...

aww what a wonderful story!! you're such a sweetie taking him in like that! oh and can i tell you how much i love your grass!! it looks so soft!

Kristina said...

I don't know if anyone else had problems, but the text was so small it hurt my eyes too much to read it (I DO have really bad eyesight, though.) Anyway, I like the color in your pics. Cute dog:)

pat said...

I'm so glad you took care of him! I am sure his owner is so glad that there are people like you out there. By the way, love Flat Stanley climbing in the rock cleft!!

Jess said...

Awww! I'm sorry he had to go, but I'm happy for him that he has such a great family to go home to. Hmmm... maybe you need a dog??? ;)

Cindi Koceich said...

Awwww...he's adorable! I'm sure they are sooo grateful you took such good care of him!!

Mom2Drew said...

Oh NOOOOOOOO! Well...I'm glad his owner found him and that you were kind enough to doggysit. I bet little Nicholas would love a doggie:) Hmmm, maybe M and F too!!?

Michelle said...

hmmm...puppy in your future? he's a cutie. sounds like he was a nice houseguest.

Reds said...

The owners must have been so happy to have him back! Beautiful dog!

Bobbi said...

You need a dog! Nike sure was cute, and I love that name. So happy his family found him too :)

Becky said...

Sounds like you made great emergency foster parents! Time for your own dog now?

summerbl4ck said...

awww cute story, and if they're new neighbors, maybe you'll see nike again. he sure looks happy getting a tummy rub in the 3rd one!

Debbi said...

Looks like everyone had fun!

Tera Fraley said...

Aww so cute!! Looks like someone needs a doggie!